Re: [gamin] monitoring of links

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 08:11:23PM +1000, TomPh wrote:
> For your review, attached test-cases 13 and 14 each include various
> tests for links to dirs and files/non-dirs, respectively. The
> corresponding results files have my best guess of what they should
> be. Haven't been able to achieve those results, with any server backend
> that works on linux. Nor have I got around to figuring out FAM.

  Well I don't think it makes sense to add test if we know they would fail
and we don't have a good idea of what the actual behaviour should be.

> The link-test patch provides for making links, and changing their
> ownership (to get around prohibitions on changing link permissions).
> Incidentally, it adds a test for more-reports-than-expected, which
> shows up one or two of the existing basic test-cases, but not fatally
> so.

  I don't know if this is what you meant, but applying your patch makes
"make tests" fail while it was passing before. So well, I won't apply it.
You can split the part adding the new commands which is a good idea.
  For the other part forcing failures on existing tests, suggest separately
the patch and explain why you think "make tests" should be breaking from
the very first test... I have a hard time understanding how this can be
a good idea.

> And it no longer stops the test when the no. of events is wrong.
> That occasionally caused havoc when thing(s) created in a test were not
> cleaned up at the end of the test.

 "make tests" was removing remains that was okay.

Any patch breaking "make tests" on dnotify or inotify should not be applied
unless there is a really really good reason for it and it will need detailed
explaination on-list.

Daniel