Re: [gamin] Re: [Patch 0.0.10] Cleanup ENABLE_DNOTIFY and HAVE_LINUX and fix build error [u]

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 07:11:05PM -0400, John McCutchan wrote:
> I was going to send an email to this list letting people know that the
> inotify backend does need some love and I don't have the time right now

  What is needed ?

> to do it. So if you are interested in working on it that would be
> wicked! I can answer any questions you have about inotify.

  inotify relies on kernel support, this can be checked at runtime
I think one of the best thing to do to get more inotify testing is to
get rid of the inotify configure option, always compile it in and make
its init routine check at runtime, if not present then use dnotify.
That way it's only a kernel option, and users/testers are quite more
familiar to installing and booting a new kernel than replacing a
component of their infrastructure after having recompiled it with a different
option.

Daniel