[gamin] Re: [Patch 0.0.10] Cleanup ENABLE_DNOTIFY and HAVE_LINUX and fix build error [u]

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 18:22 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 10:30:56PM +0200, Martin Schlemmer [c] wrote:
> > Hmm, I do not think (certainly do not look that way) you can
> > use both dnotify and inotify at the same time (or at least in
> > the same instance of a gam_server) ?
>
>   right, it was a suggestion, if someone manage to use both.

Ok, thanks, was just checking that I was not missing something.

> > Also, this will currently just work for dnotify, as the inotify
> > backend do not make use of poll currently?  Or more specific,
>
>   inotify should be able to fallback to poll too, otherwise it's
> a bug in the inotify back-end, think for example for NFS resources.

Hmm - well it does not use poll.  I will see if I can have a
look at at dnotify backend and cook something up.  I assume
John never got to it, or you added the poll support to dnotify
after inotify was added?

> > Further, it looks like for both inotify
> > and dnotify 'notify /foo' will have no use, as they do not
> > use gam_exclude_check yet ... ?
>
>   gam_exclude_check is used by dnotify, last I checked before 0.0.10
> this wasn't broken, and it better not break otherwise I will get a flurry
> of bugs and I won't be happy.

I might be missing something here, but the only place its used
is in gam_poll.c.  Maybe forgotten or missing commit?  Or maybe
you can point out how it works if its not straight forward?

> > ---
> >
> > Then, attached is a patch that does the following:

<snip>

> > -  Use '#ifdef HAVE_LINUX' instead of '#ifdef linux', as this
> >   is what is defined in config.h if we are building for linux.
> >   I might be wrong here, but I think 'linux' gets defined by
> >   gcc ...
>
>   How is that a problem ? But okay it might be a bit cleaner.

Well, I assume --disable-kernel should disable all
'#ifdef linux' (or whatever) enclosed code ...  Problem however
is that on linux with gcc 'linux' is always defined ...

> > -  Actually build dnotify backend again if --enable-inotify was
> >    passed, but not --disable-kernel.
>
>   Hum, right ... I just hope it doesn't prevent inotify from actually
> working, the code looks right,

Nope - working fine over here:

-----
$ GAM_DEBUG=1 /usr/libexec/gam_server
inotify initialized
Using INotify as backend
Error getting GAM_CLIENT_ID
Ready listening to socket /tmp/fam-root- : 4
No more active connections
-----

Thanks,

--
Martin Schlemmer
Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer