Re: [gamin] Re: [Patch 0.0.10] Cleanup ENABLE_DNOTIFY and HAVE_LINUX and fix build error [u]

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 16:24, Martin Schlemmer [c] wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 05:03 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > > >

> > > Hmm - well it does not use poll.  I will see if I can have a
> > > look at at dnotify backend and cook something up.  I assume
> > > John never got to it, or you added the poll support to dnotify
> > > after inotify was added?
> >
> >    I added it after, yes.
> >

> Ok, thanks.

Actually, initially the inotify backend did support using the poll
backend as well. I got rid of it because at the time inotify provided
everything we needed. Now gamin supports watching things that inotify
can't, like directories that don't exist.

> > > I might be missing something here, but the only place its used
> > > is in gam_poll.c.  Maybe forgotten or missing commit?  Or maybe
> > > you can point out how it works if its not straight forward?
> >
> >   You are missing the fact that dnotify implementation is just
> > a small "skin" on top of the poll module which implements most of
> > the semantic of thr fam engine.
> >   A resource also can be toggled back and forth between kernel dnotify
> > and polling mode based on the load it generates.
> >

> Right, so basically I should read some more if I actually want
> to do something about the inotify backend and lack of poll
> support :)

I was going to send an email to this list letting people know that the
inotify backend does need some love and I don't have the time right now
to do it. So if you are interested in working on it that would be
wicked! I can answer any questions you have about inotify.

John