[gamin] Re: [Patch 0.0.10] Cleanup ENABLE_DNOTIFY and HAVE_LINUX and fix build error [u]

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 10:30:56PM +0200, Martin Schlemmer [c] wrote:
> Hmm, I do not think (certainly do not look that way) you can
> use both dnotify and inotify at the same time (or at least in
> the same instance of a gam_server) ?

  right, it was a suggestion, if someone manage to use both.

> Also, this will currently just work for dnotify, as the inotify
> backend do not make use of poll currently?  Or more specific,

  inotify should be able to fallback to poll too, otherwise it's
a bug in the inotify back-end, think for example for NFS resources.

> adding 'poll /foo' to .gaminrc will not do anything currently
> if inotify is in use.

  Possible.

> Further, it looks like for both inotify
> and dnotify 'notify /foo' will have no use, as they do not
> use gam_exclude_check yet ... ?

  gam_exclude_check is used by dnotify, last I checked before 0.0.10
this wasn't broken, and it better not break otherwise I will get a flurry
of bugs and I won't be happy.

> ---
>
> Then, attached is a patch that does the following:
> -  Use ENABLE_DNOTIFY (instead of #ifdef linux) in gam_server.c
>   to include gam_dnotify.h and init the dnotify backend, else
>   we get link errors if we build with inotify support, as
>   gam_dnotify.o was not build
>   (./configure --enable-inotify --disable-kernel).

  okay

> -  Use '#ifdef HAVE_LINUX' instead of '#ifdef linux', as this
>   is what is defined in config.h if we are building for linux.
>   I might be wrong here, but I think 'linux' gets defined by
>   gcc ...

  How is that a problem ? But okay it might be a bit cleaner.

> -  Actually build dnotify backend again if --enable-inotify was
>    passed, but not --disable-kernel.

  Hum, right ... I just hope it doesn't prevent inotify from actually
working, the code looks right,

   applied and commited !

    thanks,

Daniel