Why must a jhbuild app be run with "jhbuild run"

Hi,

I have built latest gnome-sudoku on my PC and can run it fine by:
   ~$ jhbuild run gnome-sudoku
but not when running it directly:
   ~$ ./jhbuild/install/bin/gnome-sudoku &
it returns with a:
   ~$ ./jhbuild/install/bin/gnome-sudoku: symbol lookup error: ./jhbuild/install/bin/gnome-sudoku: undefined symbol: gtk_widget_set_focus_on_click
as soon I click on a cell.

I suspect that it must be a libraries mismatch but when checking which libs are loaded by gnome-sudoku I do not get a match with any of the libs built, e.g. no .so files found under ./jhbuild/install are used by gnome-sudoku.

I am doing this on a Ubuntu 16.04 machine.