Re: Why must a jhbuild app be run with "jhbuild run"

On Sun, 2016-07-31 at 10:50 +0200, Igor Lopez wrote:
I suspect that it must be a libraries mismatch but when checking
which libs
are loaded by gnome-sudoku I do not get a match with any of the libs
built,
e.g. no .so files found under ./jhbuild/install are used by gnome-
sudoku.

There should be lots and lots of libraries under jhbuild/install used
by gnome-sudoku!

jhbuild builds all the dependencies inside its own directory hierarchy,
then 'jhbuild run' sets environment variables to point to the right
places to run apps built by jhbuild. This way, you can have new
versions of dependencies so that you can build GNOME apps from git
master, without installing them over your system copy of the libraries
so that your Ubuntu system continues to work as before. If you had to
manually install newer versions of libraries when you want to run apps,
you'd wind up in dependency hell and it wouldn't be very fun to develop
for GNOME. :)

You can also run 'jhbuild shell' which will take you into the jhbuild
environment, so you no longer need to type out 'jhbuild run' each time;
I don't use this very often, though.

Michael