Re: Compiling gnome-sudoku on Ubuntu 16.04 (standard unity desktop)

Ok,

I ran the apt-get build-dep gnome-sudoku which then added the following packages:

  appstream-util cdbs dh-autoreconf dh-translations gnome-common gnome-pkg-tools libatk-bridge2.0-dev libatspi2.0-dev libdbus-1-dev libegl1-mesa-dev libepoxy-dev libgtk-3-dev
  libjson-glib-dev libmirclient-dev libmircommon-dev libmircookie-dev libmircookie2 libprotobuf-dev libqqwing-dev libwayland-dev libxkbcommon-dev libxtst-dev nettle-dev
  python-pkg-resources python-scour python-six x11proto-record-dev

and one of them is libgtk-3-dev

The build does not yet work but the issue is slightly different:

checking for GNOME_SUDOKU... no
configure: error: Package requirements (
  glib-2.0 >= 2.40.0
  gio-2.0 >= 2.40.0
  gtk+-3.0 >= 3.19.0
  gee-0.8
) were not met:

Requested 'gtk+-3.0 >= 3.19.0' but version of GTK+ is 3.18.9

So I guess I am stuck and that the revision of gnome-sudoko used for building the 3.18.0 that is available under Ubuntu 16.04 was built using earlier sources from the git repo.
This is strange since the commit for requiring GTK+ 3.19 was done
  Date:   Sat Feb 27 22:53:04 2016 +0530
I guess I could just branch out from some earlier commit but that will be a trial and error run.
Best would be to know what the Ubuntu package was built on.

On Tue, 2016-07-26 at 15:09 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> I think that this might work:
> apt-get build-dep gnome-sudoku
>
> if gnome-sudoku exists in the Debian repositories.
>
> Cheers

Yes, that should indeed work.

The particular package that's missing is libgtk-3-dev. Unfortunately,
unlike RPM distros, Ubuntu does not have any easy way to install
packages that contain pkg-config files, which is very frustrating. But
the build-dep command always works if what you're trying to build has
already been packaged.

Michael