Re: libgames-scores license

On Mon, 2014-08-18 at 17:29 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
Unfortunately, you need the developers to agree, rather than assuming
that they do. Seems that only one other developer worked on it though,
so it should be easy enough to ask them:
https://github.com/Catanzaro/libgames-scores/

Yes, for libgames-scores we'll do it with a traditional signed-off-by
line from Nikhar at the bottom of the patch.

For the games, no agreement is required since the GPL is designed to
allow developers to increment the minimum version unilaterally. I'm just
checking here since GPLv3 has been controversial and not many GNOME
programs use it yet.

A couple of questions though:
- what advantages does using the LGPLv3+ bring?

For libgames-scores itself, practically none. LPGLv3+ vs. GPLv2+ will
allow non-GPL games to use the library, but I don't anticipate any such
games wanting to do so. (All of our games are GPL.) It will also prevent
GPLv2+ games from using the library. The actual motivation is to move
the games that will depend on it from GPLv2+ to GPLv3+, since I like
GPLv3, since Richard asked us to, and since some other GNOME modules are
starting to use GPLv3+ as well (e.g. GNOME Terminal).

- why isn't the library in GNOME git?

It's easier for my GSoC student to develop in GitHub since he doesn't
have commit rights on git.gnome.org. But he's nearly done, and I'm
hoping to move it to GNOME git later today or tomorrow. :)

Michael