Re: Aisleriot ideas

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010, Christian Persch wrote:

Hi;

Am Wed, 8 Dec 2010 11:34:18 +1100 (EST)
schrieb "Timothy S. Nelson" <wayland wayland id au>:
On Wed, 8 Dec 2010, Christian Persch wrote:
Am Mon, 6 Dec 2010 13:40:10 +1100 (EST)
schrieb "Timothy S. Nelson" <wayland wayland id au>:
B.	Have an XML file for data associated with each game
I'm not sure I'd choose xml for that description; a simple .ini
style keyfile format would probably be enough.

If we also want to include this data in the help files (e.g. as a
paragraph describing the games), then it would probably need to be xml.
Anyway, that need to be worked out by whoever will implement this :)

	Fine by me :).

 	Fine by me.  I just figured there are probably already lots
of XML processing libraries out there already.

The data itself should probably be compiled into a binary gvariant blob
at build time for use in the programme, instead of cluttering the file
system with yet more files.

Hmm. I wanted this specifically so that I would be able to alter things at runtime :).

 	It would also be useful if there were a Scheme function
that could be called, so that the developers of games could access
the XML data associated with their game.

The game itself doesn't need access to that data, as far as I can
see? It would be only for use in the UI.

 	I was thinking of the redeals.

They're not configurable (well, some games have variants with unlimited
redeals), but still I think that data would be descriptive, and
separate from the actual code. Both need to be kept in sync, obviously.

The keeping in sync was exactly what I was trying to avoid :). Also, I want the redeals to be configurable :).

 	Might it be useful to have the "Aisleriot Solitaire" item
on the Gnome menus be a submenu instead, and then list all the
Solitaire games (categorised, of course) directly on the Gnome
menus?

Not opposed to that, but not really convinced either. I think you
should put that idea to the gnome-shell design team, since these
menus are their area. (It'll be easy to implement for us, in the
event that they like the idea.)

 	I'm not particularly convinced either way either -- just
thought I'd mention it :).

Still, proposing that to the shell team wouldn't hurt; all they can say
is 'no' :)

	Ok, I'll do it :).

 	I'm probably not the best UI designer.  But as a not-very-UI
designer, I'd tend to approach it from an incremental point of view
-- put out something, and improve as we go.

Well, since you're not a C coder, helping with the data, and the design
in conjunction with the design / UI team seems the best ways to
contribute :) Without a design, just starting to code would probably
just lead to bad UI.

I should add that I did some C, but it was years ago. I've even contributed bugfixes to various projects, usually the sort that are two lines, and obvious, but not important enough that anyone except me cares about them.

Not sure if I've mentioned it yet, but I was wondering if adding an "Options" or "Preferences" dialogue box might not be useful at this point. Possibly a tabbed one, with one tab for generic Aisleriot stuff, and one tab for the current game. I'm not convinced either way, but was wondering.

	:)

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: wayland wayland id au    | I am                           |