Re: GSoC: Convert a game to Clutter

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Guillaume Beland
<guillaume beland gmail com> wrote:
> I'm a student looking to participate to this year GSoC for GNOME. I
> had a look at the GNOME ideas page for GSoC 2009 and I found the idea
> to convert a game without a canvas renderer to the Clutter OpenGL
> canvas greatly appealing to me. Before I start preparing a detailed
> application I want to ask what game you guys would like to see
> converted to clutter.
>
> My first thought was Nibbles, I think that's the game that would
> benefit the most from the clutter library and that's also the game I
> play the most :P. However I'd like to have your opinion on that
> matter.

Hi Guillaume,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you; I was on a business trip
this past week.

Nibbles would be fine. I am curious how you think you might implement
the actors though? One large actor for the snake will probably not
perform very well, so I think you will need 1 actor per straight
segment and 1 actor per corner. The 'fill' of the segment can probably
be accomplished with a special texture repeat.