Re: GGZ room translations

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Josef Spillner wrote:

Hello,

you can now use
	Name[xx]=...
	Description[xx]=...
in the GGZ *.room files to let rooms show up in the client's language.

http://us.ggzgamingzone.org/~josef/ggz-intl-rooms.png

Of course I'm interested in feedback, especially how to integrate this into
the translation procedure, as these files are similar to *.desktop files.

The *.room files are similar to *.desktop files, and should IHMO be translated in the same way, but they are not translated the same way now.

The translation of *.desktop files is still done in the .po files, which is where all the other translation work also happens. Gettext "automagically" extracts the translatable strings from the *.desktop files, then includes the string for translation in each .po file, so that gettext during runtime can lookup the binary .mo files to translate the string correctly. The whole GNOME translation infrastructure is build upon using gettext (and .po files).

I suspect that most translators prefer working with .po files, and will not bother looking into .room files scattered throughout the source code in a GGZ specific way. It can also be error-prone to have the locale specified in brackets.

So my feedback is to translate *.room files exactly like *.desktop files.
Would this be possible?

 - Andreas