Re: Gnome Games 2.17.91

Hi folks,

Am Dienstag, 13. Februar 2007 02:02 schrieb Jason D. Clinton:
>         * GGZ          : lots of fixed to gnome-games network play
>
>                        : HIG compliant connection box

I thought about the HIG compliance a bit. In addition to HIG, there might be
other features that a GNOME multiplayer framework integration needs.

Since there are already changes in your CVS which are not yet in GGZ's SVN,
ggz-gtk and the libraries used by it appear to need a fork. However, that's
not a fork in the usual sense, but a modification of our GGZ Gtk+ Client and
GGZ Gtk+ Games collections to fit into GNOME.

There's also a ggz-gnome package available from GGZ, but it's basically dead
and scheduled for removal (lack of maintenance is the sole reason).
There are two ways ahead:
- we continue merging changes of GGZ code back and forth
- we declare some of the GGZ-Gtk+ stuff in GNOME CVS to be the new GGZ-GNOME
and decouple it from our GGZ-Gtk+ development to some extent

I'm strongly opting for the latter one. There is just one argument against it
which I can think out of my head, it's that GGZ won't get translations "for
free" anymore. When looking at the ggz-gtk screenshot in Thai language at
	http://thep.blogspot.com/2007/01/toward-gnome-218.html
this makes me a bit sad.
Still I think that the second way is the best way forward. We still need a
strong plain Gtk+ presence (e.g. for freeciv or XFCE users).

Therefore, we should share the components where it makes sense, but it doesn't
make sense on every layer.

Comments?

Josef

P.S. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an analogy to the KDE side. A lot
of thoughts went through my head about how to handle it correctly there and
in the end I came to the conclusion that the platform we develop software for
should offer the software by itself as much as possible - so we will migrate
some KDE-only GGZ libraries into KDE and depend on it. However, we cannot
easily depend on GNOME since there's also the pure-Gtk+ side of it. I'm
really undecided about the issue and will need some input.

--
Free online games for everybody: http://www.ggzgamingzone.org/