Re: new games to write for aisleriot (was Re: Maintainership ofgnome-games)

Vincent Povirk said:
>> Take a look at goodsol aka Pretty Good Solitaire.  It contains hundreds
>> of
>> variations some more interesting than others and there is plenty of room
>> to add more interesting and fun games to Aisleriot.  I prefer the easier
>> open games with a bit more skill and less luck.
>> http://goodsol.com/pgs/games.html
> I'm sure there are, but I don't feel like looking around for games
> that I can add. It doesn't seem worthwhile. It'd be cooler if someone
> said "Gee, I wish Aisleriot had X." And then I'd write X. Then again,
> I wanted Aisleriot to have Royal East (back when I was calling it Four
> Seasons) and didn't think to ask for it. So I need people to not think
> they're being a bother when they suggest things.

We probably should be calling it Four Seasons too... Or at least, one day,
support aliases in the selection UI. Which brings me to another point...

I wanted to do this well over a year ago, but live.gnome.org was an
embarrassment to wikis the world over. While it's still no great shakes, I
think we can get some mileage out of a new page built to figure out which
games are which, and what makes Klondike flavor "X" so special:

http://live.gnome.org/Aisleriot/Games

I've only seeded it with a tiny bit of information so far, but I'd like to
see if we can beef that up a bit. I also want to try one-line game
descriptions (followed by as many other details as needed below that), for
eventual inclusion in the game selection UI.

>> I also quite like some of the games with a pyramid layout.
> Uh huh.. I guess those are all in by now.

Not really... The three "pyramid thirteen" games we have are a bit like
every other game of that type I've seen. "Thirteen" is just about
impossible because of the combination of facedown & single draw, while
"Trieze" and "Yield" have those oddball double-ended waste piles. I'd like
to get in Pyramid games that are closer to the ones you find in Wikipedia,
PrettyGood, Yahoo, MSN, or even the old windows "Tut's Tomb".

-Richard Hoelscher
http://rahga.com/svg/