Re: Show remaining numbers hack for gnome-sudoku

On 12/12/06, Andreas Røsdal <andrearo pvv ntnu no> wrote:

> Hi!  I find myself keeping a spare gedit window open to track the
> numbers that I've finished dealing with.
>
> This patch causes these to get displayed in the status bar
> unconditionally.  This patch isn't final, I still want to make it
> optional, etc.  But before I go and remind myself how gtk works, I
> wanted to get feedback on it.

Nice idea, this change seems useful to me. I tried using it during parts
of a game, and it seems sane. Any objection to this change from anyone?

In the absence of objections, I'll code this up as a menu option to
make it optional and submit a more final patch.

Are there other ways of displaying this information? When you double click
on a square, you get a number-selection-widget, which could also disable
numbers which you're finished dealing with.

But then again, I'm sceptical to automating too much of the game-play.

That seems to go a bit beyond the spirit of what i'm thinking of,
although it would cerainly be an easy enough hack once the numbers are
tracked.

Have you seen "Solve Sudoku (Without even thinking!)":
http://www.instructables.com/id/EJLUBKN48JEPD7QXGR/?ALLSTEPS

Heh, I hadn't. =)

--
Jeff Bailey - http://www.raspberryginger.com/jbailey/