Re: Policy for accepting new games in gnome-games

On 8/25/06, Jason D. Clinton <me jasonclinton com> wrote:
Andreas Røsdal wrote:
> I therefore don't think that we should begin accepting new games, but
> rather focus on improving the current ones already in gnome-games. We
> don't have an objective way of selecting new games, or deciding which
> games to replace.

I think that there are certainly some games which could be removed and
indeed even some push from distros to do so (see Callum's email from
2006-05-30). And given that those games are removed, we could then
consider adding a strong candidate for inclusion.

This will not be popular unless the games replacing them have a wide
appeal, low learning curve and high quality. This also fits in to the
larger debate which was brought up by Tomboy: what is the identity of
GNOME? What does module inclusion give to an application? Why does a
GNOME Desktop exist at all and not just a Platform? For blessing? For
translation? These are important questions which haven't been answered.
I suspect that Jeff Waugh's recent "swimming upstream" has something to
do with his desire to drive out some answers to those questions. In the
mean time, we are left to figure it our for ourselves.

So for now, I think that following games are strong candidates for removal:

* Gnometris: almost unmaintainable; somewhat embarrassingly simple

There is a problem with removing this: It is one of the most popular
games and tetris is far from "embarassing simple". However, if the
code is unmaintainable, we have an issue.

* Robots: low quality graphics; doesn't scale to screen size; not really
our target audience, really targets the hacker/TTY folks who really
probably aren't all that interested in playing a GTK+ version anyways.

I agree. My totally non-scientific poll reveals few play this as well.

Games which are probably popular (will need to take survey to know for
sure):

* Aisleriot, Blackjack, Freecell
* Mahjongg
* Mines
* Tetravex

Aisleriot, Mines and Mahjongg are certainly very popular. Tetravex is
somewhat and Blackjack non at all. However, I suspect all are very
popular, merely that the forums users who I polled don't play
blackjack (one mentioned his father plays it).

Part of the goal of bring new games in also involves bringing new
developers in. Hence why I spoke to moderately active projects with
existing developers, in the hopes they would come and help.

Corey