Re: patch for bug 83532 (partial)

yo!!!

Callum McKenzie wrote:
After a quick glance at the patch, it seems just fine. Some random
thoughts:

great! I'm going to attach it to bugzilla for who wants to test it more.

- How about beign able to change the number of balls inserted each time (bug 83532 asked for this too didn't it ?). This should just
   be an extra field in field_sizes and a little bit of fiddling with
   the preview box.

ok, I've added the field and it's alright.
I still have a problem with the preview box: if I show 7 balls (what I have in the LARGE case) and next I go to SMALL, the four extra places are still shown and are corrupt. that's why in the patch, for now I just show 3 preview balls for all sizes.

- What is optimal in terms of size, aspect ratio and number of balls will need to be examined. The bigger sizes should have more balls
   to balance out the bigger size. Of course none of the current themes
have more than seven balls, but that can be fixed. (I should note that the sizes in Same GNOME were picked almost at random and weren't
   thoroughly tested before 2.10 to see if they were the best.)
- This game is an unusual case where bigger = easier. While I would like to make the labels the same as in gnomine and same-gnome we
   may want to think of other names to reflect the relative difficulty.
   Alternatively we adjust parameters to make them appropriate.
- A few colours in a really small space could make for a nasty wee game (this is in contradiction to my previous comment).

yes, all these considerations make lots of sense, but let's leave them for later. we should probably share ideas after some playing.

- Scoring is straight-forward to implement (i.e. it is a cut-and-paste job from gnomine or same-gnome).

ok, if you don't mind I'd like to postpone it a bit.

 - Borrowing code from Same GNOME is not always wise ;).

:)

so, just to recap: this is an ongoing work, but as far as I can see, what's done now works and it's a pretty good step towards fixing the bug. some things need still work as pointed out above, but I would feel more comfortable in doing it in separate patches.
ciao, marco