Re: gnomines possible improvement

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 13:36 -0600, Richard Hoelscher wrote:

> The problem with serving mines if a guess is detected means that on levels
> like 'hard', the user could no longer hop around all over the board
> clicking on mines and hoping for a cascade... This is keeping in mind, per
> Callum's e-mail, that whatever gets implemented wouldn't be made optional.

I think it is clear that serving mines out isn't the best solution.  I
could see it as a possible further option, but we can forget about it
for now.  I think any deviation from the standard minesweeker should be
optional, if the game really should support the basics.  I will work on
your idea where it calculates a solvable board after the first move.  If
I find that this greatly alters the game (at the moment I am not sure)
then we can talk about other solutions.  I will try to have a patch
ready by tomarrow.

> Taking a completely different (and simple) approach to the forced guess
> problem... What if we just replaced "Hint" with something more like a
> "Peek"? Clicking on hint then clicking a square would either reveal or
> flag it without danger of setting off the mine.

If everyone agrees this is a good idea, I would be glad to make it work,
I think the current hint system is kind of random.

Is it possible for me to get on the list?
Thanks.

--
sean <spdepagn ncsu edu>