Re: Need some infos about game writing with gtk

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 17:08 +0200, Nicolas BENOIT wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> This morning, I just came up with the idea of writing a
> Rock-Paper-Scissors game. It would be called ShiFuMi ant use GTK.
> Some interesting features: AI and network game...
>
> I just had a look at the Gnome-Games project and I think it can be
> pretty helpful. Anyway, I am writing this message in order to get some
> informations about the libgames included in gnome-games... What is it?
>
> Do you have any advice for the development of this kind of program?

The code quality inside gnome-games is highly variable. Mahjongg and
glines are good examples since they have received a lot of attention
recently. gnomine is also good, but uses some unusual techniques (like a
custom widget for the playing area). gtali is not a good example since
it was a port from a curses based program. Other games are somewhere
in-between as far as being examples of how to write a game.

The libgames library is just a collection of useful common code for
gnome-games. Some of it, like the clock routines, are only useful for
games. Some, like games-frame, are just there to make HIG compliance
easier. Others like games-file are quite useful in their own right. At
the moment it is a static library that is linked in at compile time. If
you want to use any of the routines the best option is to just copy the
files you want to your own project and link them in directly (like any
other program file). It isn't going to become a shared library any time
soon since the API is no-where near stable (this shouldn't stop you
snarfing the bits you need).