Re: Gataxx

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, MattyT wrote:
> done right, the main obstacle would be programmer time.
That is precisely the problem. My main reason for not putting any new
games into the 2.5 series is not one of space in the tarball, or lack of
good candidates, it is purely one of managing the code-base. Taking
something like gtkboard, or another program, to consolidate code would be
marvelous, except for all the new bugs you get in new code.

Up until now I have been trying an incremental process. When 2.7 comes
around I think it will be time for a serious look at where gnome-games is
and where gtkboard is and make a decision.

> In fact, I don't see why gnome-games couldn't have a *LOT* of games in
> the long term without tremendous disk space usage, given a lot of the
> space seems to be sounds and images which should be able to be reused a
> lot.  Clearly no one would want the menu size bloated either, but I
> think you can have a program for each family of games without too big a
> menu.
There are all good points. I wish I had more time to implement them :).

> Do games really need to be moved now there's been and continues to be a
> lot of refactoring work going on?
That will depend entirely on how well the refactoring goes. The current
work is good, but small on the scale of the over-all code-base.