Re: Gataxx

On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 19:17, Callum wrote:

> ... not putting any new
> games into the 2.5 series is not one of space in the tarball, or lack of
> good candidates, it is purely one of managing the code-base. Taking
> something like gtkboard, or another program, to consolidate code would be
> marvelous, ...

This is reasonable, but is it well known?  If people want to include
their games, are they told what needs to be done first?  Is the problem
no one really knows yet what that is?

I thought I saw a library that's in use being mentioned somewhere, but
is there a library for card games (card drawing, pack selection,
hand/deck drawing, pref dialogs, DnD)?  Could code be pulled out of
AisleRiot and/or Blackjack for use in new card games?

Is there a need for other libraries?  To what extent would a big library
that contains unnecessary stuff for an application be better or worse
than multiple libraries?

Is AisleRiot's game definition format suitable for extension to other
card games?

> Up until now I have been trying an incremental process. When 2.7 comes
> around I think it will be time for a serious look at where gnome-games is
> and where gtkboard is and make a decision.

It sounds like it might be the time to make a long term decision, but a
decision doesn't have to necessarily mean giving up the incremental
process.  It might simply mean switching games over to the GtkBoard
architecture as it improves, and compiling out the rest.

> > Do games really need to be moved now there's been and continues to be a
> > lot of refactoring work going on?
> That will depend entirely on how well the refactoring goes. The current
> work is good, but small on the scale of the over-all code-base.

Is this the sort of thing that could be improved by having a list of
things people could do?  Is there such a thing already?

--
         Matthew Tuck: Software Developer & All-Round Nice Guy
 My Short Autobiography: 1985 Grade Bin Monitor 1990 Class Clown Award