Re: 0.5 beta feedback

On Sat, 2011-05-07 at 09:23 -0500, Quinn Dombrowski wrote:
> Hi Mario,
>
> I've been trying out the 0.5 beta, and the orientation for vertical
> photos works great! So does the removing the file extension.

Glad to hear that!

> There's one pesky bug, though, that I've encountered. I've attached a
> screenshot. When you double-click on an image to add tags and such,
> this empty message comes up. I let it run for 5 minutes before I hit
> cancel, and the tag editing window came up without a problem.

Oopps! Yeah, it's actually a quite annoying bug I could reproduce easily
here. Now working on that...

> I think it has to do with me having tag completion turned off. When I
> turned tag completion on, a message box came up (same size, shape, and
> progress bar as the buggy un-message), but it didn't take long for
> that box to go away and the tag editing window to come up.
>
> Also, when I have tag completion turned on, and I put a second photo
> in Frogr and go to edit the tags, there's no message box that comes
> up. However, when I turn off tag completion, the message box comes up
> every time-- for the second photo, the same way as for the first.

It seems it's all the same thing: looks like frogr tries to show the
dialog because it is actually fetching tags in the background (no matter
if the tags autocompletion feature is enabled or disabled) and showing
the progress dialog when it shouldn't.

Perhaps, I should make it so frogr didn't even try to fetch the tags
list if the tags autocompletion feature is switched off, so we would be
saving the extra network data transfer due to the list of tags. And if
at some time you happen to enable the tags autocompletion feature, then
frogr will at that moment download the list of tags.

At the moment, I made it the other way around because I thought it
wouldn't be a big deal to download the list of tags in the background
anyway, but seeing that you cancelled the dialog after 5 minutes perhaps
it is not worth it and it would be better not to download the tags when
autocompletion is off.

What do you think?

Mario

> Thanks again for all your work improving Frogr!

Thanks for the awesome feedback.

Mario