Re: Board of Directors Elections 2019 - Candidacy - Jeremy Allison

Yes, thanks for the correction Karen. Not being a lawyer means I'm often not very precise about these things (I'm very precise about my technical terminology instead :-).

Yes, I checked with Google to make sure they had no objections and I was encouraged to apply for the position. I hope people who know me well know I'm fiercely independent and quite capable of acting against the interests of my employer if I personally think it's the right thing to do.

Jeremy.

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019, 6:51 PM Karen Sandler <karen gnome org> wrote:
On 2019-05-31 19:34, Jeremy Allison via foundation-list wrote:
> Name: Jeremy Allison
> Email: jra google com, jra samba org
> Affiliation: Google
> IRC: Don't use it - I'm too old so I use email instead :-).

Hi Jeremy! I'm so excited to see you running for the GF board!

> I'd like to run for the Gnome Foundation Board of Directors
> on behalf of Google.

Because GF is a 501c3 and a charitable organization, board members serve
in an individual capacity and not on behalf of any company. I know you
were probably just being casual with your wording choice when you wrote
this, but I felt I should double check that you probably mean that you'd
like to run for the GF board on your own behalf but bring with you the
perspective of being a Googler... is that right?

> I've used Gnome for as long as it has been available
> as a GNU/Linux desktop.
>
> I don't currently contribute other than helping the
> gnome-vfs maintainers use one of the libraries (libsmbclient) of
> my primary project, Samba to access SMB1/2/3 servers.
>
> I have a long (25+ years) experience with Free and Open
> Source Software, mostly to do with my primary project
> Samba.
>
> I am on the Board of Directors of the Software Freedom
> Conservancy, and on the Advisory Board of the Document
> Foundation (LibreOffice).

We've very much appreciated your contributions over the years on
Conservancy's board!

> I perform my board duties diligently as required.
>
> I'd like to help support Gnome and promote it as a
> desktop environment within Google and outside of
> Google.
>
> I've had my differences with some of the design
> decisions in the past (as Karen Sandler can attest :-),
> but I would really like to help add my experience
> and enthusiasm for Free and Open Source Software
> to the project.

:D

karen