Minutes of the board meeting of September 11, 2018

Wiki location: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20180911

= Foundation Board Minutes for Tuesday, September 11th 2018, 15:30 UTC =

Next meeting date Tuesday, September 18 2018, 15:30 UTC

== Attending ==

 * CarlosSoriano
 * KatGerasimova
 * RosannaYuen
 * FedericoMenaQuintero
 * RobMcQueen
 * PhilipChimento

== Regrets ==

 * AllanDay
 * NuritziSanchez
 * NeilMcGovern

== Agenda ==

 * Akademy report (Carlos)
 * Rust hackfest venue sponsorship. See board-list (Carlos)
 * Review compensation committee charter (Rob, see https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Board/issues/78)
 * Review to-do GitLab issues - https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Board/issues?label_name%5B%5D=To-Do

== Minutes ==

 * Akademy report (Carlos)
   * Carlos went to Akademy with Felipe Borges. There is a blog post about his experience (https://csorianognome.wordpress.com/2018/08/24/a-gnome-dev-enters-an-akademy-and/). There are a few things that could be useful to us.
   * They have 3-year board terms, so only one-third of the board turns over every year.
   * They have a code of conduct, both for conference and the project
     * Kat: has the CoC fixed any issues in their community?
       * Don't know. This would be something to ask them.
   * Color-coded badge straps to implement photo policy. Not sure whether it is working well.
   * They didn't have any employees. Now they have contractors for marketing, thanks to the Pineapple funding. It's working very well.
   * Anyone in the community can reach out directly to the marketing contractors: "need feedback on X", "need to promote this".
   * They split into the KDE Community and KDE Projects. There is no single KDE project anymore.
     * The KDE Community is a loosely defined group of people with free software goals.
     * An example of a KDE Project is Plasma (the desktop product).
     * KDE is kind of like an umbrella for projects made by the KDE Community, rather than a specific product.
   * They have a process to get software in: how a project can be called a KDE project.
     * Carlos discussed with Tobias Bernard and others during GUADEC about having something like this for GNOME.
       * KDE has a committee doing that.
   * Changed their focus to usability / user experience, rather than doing everything for everyone.
   * We do newcomers onboarding better; we have tooling/people for that.
   * Kat: they have better GSoC retention rates than we do (info from 3-4 years ago)
     * They integrate more with the students, whereas our students work more in isolation.
     * Krita reduced number of students to increase quality
   * They do diversity better.
     * They have age diversity, both younger and older. The young people are not only from Google Summer of Code.
     * More women, maybe the proportion is twice as much as in the GNOME community.
   * Things to collaborate on:
     * Wayland. There is an opportunity for a hackfest here. They feel that GNOME pushes hard on Wayland because we have more manpower; some feel like they try to catch up.
     * Flatpak. Their VP is the KDE maintainer of Discover and Flatpak integration.
       * Carlos discussed with Alex Larsson about this.
  * The discussion turned briefly to GNOME-branded hardware.
    * Kat: What are the criteria to define that hardware works with GNOME properly? Usability?
    * Rob: We need to define requirements to let someone use the GNOME trademark.
    * Taking small steps first is better. We should first define a process to get software into GNOME.
    * Rob: There are different requirements for the GNOME logo on hardware, vs. "GNOME Foo" for a foo program.
    * Federico: There's been some work done on making it easy for ISVs to integrate their software into GNOME - is there a list of requirements in terms of certification?
  * '''ACTION''' - Philip or Federico - create a task in GitLab to investigate hardware certification and assign it to Neil

 * Rust hackfest venue sponsorship. See board-list (Carlos)
   * The hackfest is in Greece, and the organizers are asking just under EUR 500 for a coworking space for 4 days for 15 people. There's a hackfest page and an agenda. 7 participants so far, mostly from Europe. Federico plans to attend.
   * Kat: It would be interesting to have the hackfest in Thessaloniki, because then Federico can take a look around at the GUADEC venue.
   * Rosanna: Is this something that the engagement committee is supposed to approve?
     * Federico: The engagement committee should be asked in any case for marketing materials such as stickers
     * Carlos: There's a pending GitLab issue to figure out what to do with hackfests. Currently it's not clear who has to approve it.
   * Rosanna: The board hasn't been asked for sponsorship for a hackfest in a long time; it's not in our minds.
     * We'll vote on this hackfest, since it's time sensitive, and then consider how the process should be in the future.
   * Rob: What budget is this coming out of?
     * Rosanna: The engagement committee budget, so we should let them know that we're spending their money
     * Rob: We should also honor any requests to increase their budget if they run out.
   * '''VOTE''': Assign EUR 496 for the Rust hackfest venue.
     * +1 unanimous
   * '''ACTION''' - Kat to reply to Sebastian Dröge that the request has been approved.

 * Review compensation committee charter (Rob)
   * https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Board/issues/78
   * Background: This is about having a committee to consider yearly the compensation package of the ED, and evaluate the ED's performance, and make a recommendation to the board for the ED's compensation for the next year.
   * One requirement is to prove to the tax authority that there is an independent process and the ED is not setting their own salary.
   * A useful resource from Neil that the committee will be able to use: https://www.councilofnonprofits.org/tools-resources/executive-compensation
   * The committee charter is ready for the board to review, we'll discuss it next week.
   * Federico: Should we set a timeline?
     * Rob: I've told Neil that we're targeting around the time of the hackfest.
   * '''ACTION''' - Everyone to review the committee charter in the GitLab issue, deadline September 18.

 * Review to-do GitLab issues - https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Board/issues?label_name%5B%5D=To-Do
   * Issue 60 (https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Board/issues/60) - The rest of us aren't sure which minutes this refers to, so we'll ask Allan to do it when he gets back from vacation.
   * Issue 76 (https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Board/issues/76) - Finish the Board handover. We are not sure what the problem is but Neil was going to talk to Andrea Veri about the advisory board list needing a moderator. However, anyone can ask Andrea about this, not just Neil.
   * '''ACTION''' - Carlos to talk to Andrea Veri about unblocking the advisory board list.
   * Issue 67 (https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Board/issues/67) - Pending action for most committee liaisons to contact their committees about this. Please do this by next week.
   * Rob: Do we have a backlog of issues to get done during the hackfest?
     * Kat: Let's add our topics to the wiki page and discuss it next week.
     * Federico created the "hackfest" label for GitLab issues.
   * Issue 72 (https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Board/issues/72) - Rob still to send out this email.

== Actions ==

 * Philip or Federico - Create a task in GitLab to investigate hardware certification and assign it to Neil.
 * Kat - Reply to Sebastian Dröge that the budget request for the Rust hackfest venue has been approved.
 * Everyone - Review the compensation committee charter (https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Board/issues/78) (deadline September 18)

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]