Minutes of the board meeting of September 4, 2018

Wiki location: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20180904

Next meeting date Tuesday, September 11 2018, 15:30 UTC

== Attending ==

 * CarlosSoriano
 * PhilipChimento
 * RosannaYuen
 * NeilMcGovern
 * RobMcQueen
 * NuritziSanchez
 * FedericoMenaQuintero

== Regrets ==

 * AllanDay
 * KatGerasimova

== Agenda ==

 * Conference bidding process review (Kat)
 * Committee responsibilities (Kat & Nuritzi)
 * Figure out what's blocking on finishing the board handover (Kat)
 * Foundation hackfest (Kat)
 * Conference budget questions [see mailing list] (Allan)
 * Switch meetings to California time (Allan)
 * Odds and ends (Neil)

== Minutes ==

 * Conference bidding process review (Kat)
   * https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Board/issues/39
   * https://etherpad.gnome.org/p/conferences
   * Board were supposed to review and give feedback on the bid template - not everyone has done so yet.
   * Neil added a lot of stuff, there are still some "to-do" bits.
   * Federico: Is the code of conduct covered? - Yes, on https://wiki.gnome.org/Foundation/Conferences where the bid template will be added eventually.
   * Nuritzi: We should also think about standardizing the conference organizing process, such as finding good keynote speakers. That doesn't fit in this document, but we should think about those resources as well.
     * Neil: Could be integrated after the acceptance of the bid: "Congratulations, your bid has been accepted. Here's how you organize a GUADEC/GNOME.Asia/etc"
     * Neil: for keynote speakers, use the standard budgeting spreadsheet.
     * Carlos: There is https://wiki.gnome.org/GUADEC/HowTo/
   * Carlos: The HowTo page also includes bid and budget information, which should be updated after this is adopted.
   * Nuritzi: Need to talk to the Engagement team about talking to local team. Designate someone as the lead marketing person.
   * Next steps: Everyone who hasn't reviewed it please review it; Finish off the to-do bits, adopt it, and publish it.

 * Committee responsibilities (Kat & Nuritzi)
   * https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Board/issues/67
   * We discussed this last week during the informal meeting and made an action for liaisons to contact the committees to get feedback about how they would like to define these requirements.
   * Federico: The Code of Conduct committee has discussed this a bit. It may happen that we discuss sensitive issues in this committee that should not be public or even shared with the whole board.
   * Carlos: Travel committee has a similar situation with private/public issues in their minutes.
   * Nuritzi: The Engagement committee will be meeting at LAS GNOME, so we will discuss this next week.
   * We want feedback from committees on the points in #67 (active/inactive members, response times)

 * Figure out what's blocking on finishing the board handover (Kat)
   * https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Board/issues/76 still has adboard-list not updated.
   * Kat volunteered to be second moderator on the list, hasn't heard anything back.
   * Philip: There was one email sent to the list last week.
   * Does the email require a response? Even if it doesn't contain a question, it should be responded to.
   * Nuritzi: We should generally keep a low response time for the advisory board list, and think about ways to involve the advisory board with day-to-day goings on via this list.
   * '''ACTION''' - Neil to double check if everyone is subscribed and subscribe if not.
   * '''ACTION''' - Philip to forward the received email to the board.

 * Foundation hackfest (Kat)
   * https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Board/issues/75
   * Next step: get approval for travel and accommodation.
   * Rosanna (mentioned before the meeting, by email): Everyone should book their own accommodation if we are using Travelodge, or if we are using Airbnb then one person should book it; there's no Foundation credit card.
   * Discussion about proposed Airbnb options. Sleeping arrangements are described inconsistently in one of them.
   * We should book for the 16th through the 20th instead of 17th through 19th, as we need to allow for travel the preceding and following days.
   * Discussion about where to look for options; the area directly around Collabora is not likely to have good options.
   * Neil suggests YourSpace (www.yourspaceapartments.com), you can book multiple apartments in the same building - map here: https://www.yourspaceapartments.com/apartments-list-half-map/
   * Should we have an event on the evening of Friday 19th where we invite local people? Yes.
   * Any recommendations for how to get to Cambridge? Stansted is ~30 mins by train. City is also good. Heathrow and Gatwick are acceptable. Avoid Luton and Southend.
   * '''ACTION''' - Everyone should begin booking their travel, before September 11.
   * '''ACTION''' - Neil to email YourSpace, and book the accommodations if possible.

 * Conference budget questions [see mailing list] (Allan)
   * It would be better to discuss this with with both Allan and Kat on the call.
  * '''ACTION''' - Federico to put the questions raised on the mailing list in an issue, to resolve later. https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Board/issues/81

 * Switch meetings to California time (Allan)
   * The issue is that Europe and US/Canada move to and from daylight savings time a few weeks apart, whereas UTC doesn't have daylight savings time. Many people's meetings move at the same time as the US daylight savings time change, so it would be convenient to do the same. Relative to UTC it would change by an hour.
   * Federico does not necessarily change to DST at the same time as either Europe or US/Canada, but is fine with California-based schedules generally.
   * We can still send out the meeting time in UTC but bind it to Pacific time zone for switching to DST.

 * Odds and ends (Neil)
   * Tomorrow is release day!
   * Friends of GNOME works again!
   * If anyone needs me for the next week or so, I will be on Denver time (MDT).

== Actions ==

 * Neil - Double check if everyone is subscribed to the advisory board list, and subscribe them if not.
 * Philip - Forward the received email to the board.
 * Everyone - Book your travel (deadline September 11)
 * Neil - Email YourSpace, and book the accommodations if possible.
 * Federico - Put the questions raised on the mailing list in an issue, to resolve later. https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Board/issues/81

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]