Minutes of the Board Meeting of October 3rd 2017

= Foundation Board Minutes for Tue, October 3rd 2017, 17:00 UTC =

Next meeting date Tue, October 10th 2017, 17:00 UTC

Wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20171003

== Attending ==

 * Allan Day
 * Alexandre Franke
 * Zeeshan Ali
 * Nuritzi Sanchez
 * Neil McGovern
 * Cosimo Cecchi
 * Rosanna Yuen

== Regrets ==

 * Meg Ford

== Missing ==

 * Carlos Soriano

== Agenda for 2017-10-03 ==

 * Berlin & social events sync

== Minutes ==

 * Berlin & social events sync
  * https://wiki.gnome.org/Hackfests/Foundation2017
  * GNOME Beer event + pizzas at c-base on Saturday
  * VOTE: allocate 100€ for pizzas
   * +1 Unanimous. PASSED
  * ACTION: Nuritzi to update the wiki
  * ACTION: Nuritzi to send an email to foundation-list, local mailing
list if there is one

== Ongoing ==

'''This section includes items which have seen an update in the last
30 days. Format is "YYYY-MM-DD, action|discussion|abstract" for this
and subsequent minutes sections'''

 * Foundation hackfest processing
  * Misunderstanding has been confirmed
   * TC thought we had allocated a special budget, outside of TC fund
   * Alexandre hasn’t booked yet, still waiting for confirmation since
there were questions about his initial request
   * TC is also busy with GNOME.Asia
   * Situation is complicated, deadlines are close. We should do
better with processes in the future.
   * VOTE: handle that budget ourselves, and allocate up to $8000 for the total
    * +1 Unanimous, PASSED.
   * ACTION: Cosimo to help Rosanna processing receipts after the event.
   * ACTION: Cosimo to get back to the TC and let them know how we’re
dealing with this
   * ACTION: Cosimo to tell Shaun he’s welcome to join
     * 2017-09-27: Nuritzi usurped the tasks for getting back to TC
and Shaun (super sorry again, Cosimo! -N)

 * Zazzle store
  * We have a link on the page where we list vendors
  * Andreas confirmed that Stormy is the one with access
  * ACTION: Allan to try to reach out to Stormy
  * ACTION: Nuritzi to assess the quality and check whether we want to
continue using them

 * Feedback request: spending Foundation money
  * Question in the thread: does/will the board help organizer raise
sponsorship?
   * This should be part of our discussion at the Berlin hackfest next week.
   * Could be part of the new committee responsibilities
   * ACTION: Nuritzi to get back to the list
     * 2017-09-27: Nuritzi completed this action.

 * Using TransferWise or some other payment system
  * This has been recommended to us as a good alternative to Paypal
that is cheaper and works in certain countries where Paypal does not
work
  * 2017-09-19
   * Since Rosanna and Neil would be the main users of this, a good
next step would be for them to review options and report to the Board
   * ACTION: Neil will look into this and coordinate with Rosanna when
she's back

 * Looking for sponsorship for GitLab runners
  * To increase our Continuous Integration capacity on the GNOME
GitLab server, we'll need to provision some more servers, as we
migrate more projects there
  * We could ask for help to our Advisory Board, or use our network to
ask for support from other companies
   * It would make more sense to ask for hardware/cycles directly,
rather than fundraising, since server bandwidth is a recurring cost
  * 2017-09-19
   * ACTION: Meg and Neil to look into connecting to hosting companies
using Meg's connections
    * 2017-09-26
     * Meg sent an email about applications to Neil
   * ACTION: Meg to get back to Javier
    * 2017-09-26
     * DONE

 * CoC Workshop sponsorship
  * A group of people (Sarah Sharp, others) in SF are putting together
a workshop about enforcement of CoC in communities or events
  * The CoC working group would like to attend to e.g. help them with
the enforcing guidelines
  * The organizers of the workshop asked us to consider donating
resources to this event, including sponsoring Sarah's travel for the
event
  * Total request: up to $3600 for training materials, flight and
accommodation for Sarah, but whatever we can afford
   * The request comes from Rosanna and Nuritzi; Rosanna has been
contacted privately by the organizers
  * 2017-09-19
   * Would like to see a cost breakdown
   * General feeling we should not cover all the cost ourselves, and
we should make sure it's geared towards our needs too
   * ACTION: Nuritzi to get on a call with Josh and report back to the Board
  * 2017-09-26
   * Timing not ideal
   * Would help establishing a relationship with a local community
   * Cost is high
   * We’d prefer more planning
   * ACTION: Nuritzi to work on planning something in the same vein

 * Mexico workshop
  * 2017-08-29
    * Was supposed to start yesterday, has been delayed.

 * Engagement team committee for funds
  * The committee would allocate small budgets for events like release parties
  * Board to vote on this once we have a list of volunteers and a
description of the committee's role

 * GNOME.Asia logo / "A simple explanation of GNOME.Asia 2017's logo
to FoundationBoard" email
  * The design is not optimal, could use some tweaking but it’s alright.
  * ACTION: Allan to write recommendations for next year
   * 2017-07-11 - Allan still not done this. Sad face.

 * GUADEC 2017 finance request
   * The board wishes to make this a more straightforward process in the future
    * ACTION: Neil to make sure that expenses allocation for future
conferences is discussed by the board in person at GUADEC

 * Foundation support for Flathub
  * 2017-05-09
   * The Board voted to try and use some of our pro-bono counsel time
towards the Flathub legal framework, provided our lawyers agree
   * ACTION: Neil to connect to Luis
  * 2017-05-16 - Exact questions to ask Luis are being worked up
  * 2017-06-06 - Questions sent to Luis, being looked at.
  * 2017-09-05 - Being passed to Karen now, discussions have stalled a
little, Neil chasing up

 * Hackfest process documentation
  * 2017-02-14
   * ACTION: Nuritzi to take a stab at updating the documentation for
the process to request a hackfest and responsibilities between Board
and TC
  * 2017-05-02
   * Nuritzi will work on this by end of May, check in then
  * 2017-09-05: Nuritzi updated the wiki about a week ago but we
should go over this in Berlin.

 * Owncloud shared calendar for the board
  * 2016-08-10
   * Cosimo tested creating an event, but with mixed results
   * ACTION: Cosimo to take it on from here
  * 2016-09-06 - Allan has started a list of reoccuring events on the
wiki - https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoardPrivate/Minutes/UpcomingAgenda
  * 2017-03-07
   * Neil is looking into a similar calendar so will take over
  * 2017-07-26
   * (Neil) can someone else have this? Alexandre volunteers. #challengeaccepted
  * 2017-08-19
   * Alexandre tested the shared calendar that Allan set up a while
back on nextcloud, seems to work well
   * We are entering beta phase with some directors opting in

=== Ongoing but stalled ===

'''This section includes items which haven't seen an update in the
last 30 days.'''

 * Dropping dates in copyright claims on our websites
  * 2016-12-06
   * ACTION: Alexandre to send an email to foundation-list with a
proposal for discussion
  * 2016-12-20
   * Next step seems to be to reach out to Creative Commons to get
advice on what exactly can and should be done
  * 2017-01-24
   * Alexandre reached out to Creative commons
  * 2017-02-28
   * Alexandre will try alternative channels
  * 2017-05-02
   * We got a reply, Alexandre to follow up
  * 2017-05-30
   * Two options
    * Have terms of use on the website that state that linking to a
page is sufficient attribution
    * Require contributors to assign their attribution to the GNOME Foundation

 * Privacy campaign funds
  * 2016-09-27
   * Draft is out for the Board to review and give feedback
   * ACTION: Cosimo to try and form a committee to review internship proposals
  * 2016-10-26
   * We are aiming for an internship round in spring 2017
  * 2017-07-26
   * Carlos and Zeeshan are taking this over -- the plan is still to
do internships

 * Friends of GNOME
  * 2016-08-10
   * ACTION: Allan to get in touch with Tobi and the sysadmin team to
migrate the FoG infrastructure over to GNOME
  * 2017-03-07
   * Allan will pass this on to Neil, and connect him to Tobi
  * 2017-04-18 - Neil has CRM working (ish) on the gnome website,
we're looking at how to move the PayPal IPN to CiviCRM
   * At sysadmin meeting at GUADEC

 * Paypal Giving Fund
  * Alexandre suggested in december 2015 to get us enrolled in the program
   * That would give us exposure. For example Humble bundle allows to
direct the charity part of purchases towards any of their participants
  * Zana tried to get us in sometime before may 2016, we never heard back.
  * 2016-09-06
   * ACTION: Zana to look into it

== Nice to have ==

'''This section includes items which we would love to see happen at
some point but lack the time to effectively become reality'''

 * Contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
  * Kat to draft this
  * Alexandre took over
  * 2017-07-26
   * This is close to being done

 * Privacy policy for GNOME services
  * Current draft is at https://wiki.gnome.org/Foundation/Privacy
  * Sysadmin Team's NDA should also be covered when dealing with this item
  * Kat or Allan to write up the policy
  * Kat or Allan to write up recommended wording for distribution
privacy policies, regarding the behaviour of GNOME software
  * 2017-07-26
   * Allan is still working on this, but with low priority