Re: Minutes of the Board meeting of June, 6th, 2017

Tobias Mueller <tobiasmue gnome org> wrote:
There are two issues here: the practicalities of transitioning between
 boards, and what we are required to do by the bylaws.
Sure.  And I'd be surprised if the new board members wouldn't see it
similarly.
But the way the minutes are written makes it sound less distinct and
more like that the old board can decide when the new board starts
coming into power.

I remember the discussion being framed around what we were permitted to do by the bylaws, for what it's worth...

 As for the second issue, as far as I can see, the bylaws don't say
 exactly when new board members should take office. (Let me know if
 I've missed something.)
The bylaws say for how long the directors shall hold office, i.e. they
are elected for a certain term.  The duration of the term of the
current board is one year (unless, e.g. no new board has been elected,
or it had been decided to make the term longer; see below).  The
current term started July 2016. It thus ends at the end of June 2017.

There are a few key clauses to consider. 8.3.1:

"Each of the directors shall hold office for one (1) year, or a period of up
to two (2) years as determined by the Board and announced prior to an
election being called."

I read this as meaning that the board always has to fix the period of office, but maybe I was imagining a comma where there isn't one. :/

  However, there are statements which suggest
 that the AGM is the time. For example, clause 8.2.1 states: "The
 Directors shall fix their number at an annual meeting."
This is not related as it's about changing the number of directors.

Sorry, I misinterpreted that section.

It sounds like we probably will have to hand over voting rights to new board members as soon as the election results are announced. It would be good to try and figure out how we can institute the arrangement proposed by the board for future years, though. The difficulty is that we often don't know exactly when the AGM is going to happen, so we can't fix an exact term period for incoming board members.

Allan