Minutes of the Board meeting of April, 4th, 2017

= Foundation Board Minutes for Tue, April 4th 2017, 17:00 UTC =

Next meeting date Tue, April 11th 2017, 17:00 UTC

Wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20170404

== Attending ==

 * Alexandre Franke
 * Allan Day
 * Shaun McCance
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Neil McGovern
 * Cosimo Cecchi
 * Nuritzi Sanchez
 * Jim Hall

== Regrets ==

 * Meg Ford

== Missing ==

== Agenda for 2017-04-04 ==

 * GUADEC 2018 Call for Bids 
 * Use of "gnome" in third party website - archive knowledge
 * Warranty renewals for GNOME servers; vote passed on the mailing list, but might be good to have a follow up discussion
 * Should we move our documents from the resources page to ownCloud?

== Minutes ==

 * GUADEC 2018 Call for Bids
  * We should send out something on social media and a news item on the main GNOME website
  * ACTION: Nuritzi to make that happen

 * Use of "gnome" in third party websites - archive knowledge
  * It would be good to document on the wiki the cases that we came across for this
   * There's a page in the private section with all the information about trademark: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoardPrivate/TrademarkLicensing
  * ACTION: Nuritzi to take a stab at this

 * Warranty renewals for GNOME servers; vote passed on the mailing list, but might be good to have a follow up discussion
  * It's not particularly clear why we ended up in this situation, and whether it's the best way to manage our servers, especially if this is a recurring expense
  * Alexandre also had some other concerns that we didn't dig into because it was urgent
   * Was not very clear what happened if we did not renew the contract
    * We would not be able to replace hardware in a timely matter otherwise
   * Why did this only come up last-minute?
    * We should have some input from the sysadmin team that we factor into our budget projections
   * ACTION: Neil to talk to the sysadmin team about this

 * Should we move our documents from the resources page to ownCloud?
  * The resources page on the wiki is a long list of document by-date
  * Seems like a good candidate to move it to ownCloud
   * Would need to figure out access control if we were to move it
  * ACTION: Allan to move forward with this

== _Ongoing_ ==

'''This section includes items which have seen an update in the last 30 days. Format is "YYYY-MM-DD, action|discussion|abstract" for this and subsequent minutes sections'''

 * GUADEC 2018 Call for Bids
  * 2017-04-04
   * ACTION: Nuritzi to send out something on social media and a news item on the main GNOME website

 * Use of "gnome" in third party websites - archive knowledge
  * 2017-04-04
   * ACTION: Nuritzi to take a stab at documenting the cases we encountered

 * Warranty renewals for GNOME servers
  * 2017-04-04
   * We should have some input from the sysadmin team that we factor into our budget projections,  and the overall plan
   * ACTION: Neil to talk to the sysadmin team about this

 * Should we move our private documents from the resources page to ownCloud?
  * 2017-04-04
   * Board thinks this is a good idea
   * ACTION: Allan to move forward with this

 * Budget request: $144.3322 from Julita Inca, see email "Flisol and Install Fest 2017"
  * 2017-03-28
   * Budget was approved
   * ACTION: Nuritzi to get back to Julita
   * ACTION: Neil to help define a policy about transaction expenses, folding it together with the other monetary policies
   * ACTION: Nuritzi to reach out to Julita about her getting more involved with the distribution center process
  * 2017-04-04
   * She went over budget, new amount is $193, because of some extra materials she had to buy
   * She plans to reuse some of those extra materials for the next event
   * If she holds these events quite frequently, we should have an annual budget for them, instead of piecemeal expenses
    * Also we'd need a way to measure the value of these events for the Foundation
   * VOTE: approve the new budget, but do mention to her that she should be careful with expenses for the future
    * +1 Nuritzi, Allan, Cosimo, Shaun. -1 Alexandre. VOTE PASSED
    * ACTION: Nuritzi to communicate to Julita

 * WHS donations report
  * 2017-02-14
   * ACTION: Alexandre to follow-up with WHS about donation reports

 * Hackfest process documentation
  * 2017-02-14
   * ACTION: Nuritzi to take a stab at updating the documentation for the process to request a hackfest and responsibilities between Board and TC

 * libertyVPS server donation
  * 2016-12-20
   * ACTION: Meg to check with sysadmins whether we actually need a server
  * 2017-01-10
   * Meg sent an email and is waiting to hear back from the sysadmin team.
  * 2017-02-28
   * Meg to follow up with LibertyVPS pointing them to previous social media posts about donors and ask them what they'd like. Meg to follow up with engagement team about LibertyVPS social media perks.
   * 2017-03-07
    * LibertyVPS want to also donate some money to the project
    * ACTION: Neil to connect to them 1:1 to talk about contribution opportunities

 * Chrome Store account for managing GNOME Shell integration browser extension
  * 2016-12-20
   * ACTION: Shaun to find out more about what's involved in creating an account
  * 2017-03-07
   * For the Play Store, we had decided that the contributor should be empowered to publish their app there, as long as they're members of the Foundation
    * And as long as the credentials/keys are shared with the Board
   * We should document this process in a wiki page
   * The Engagement team could faciliatate Foundation members being able to publish on these stores
   * ACTION: Neil will look into this

 * Dropping dates in copyright claims on our websites
  * 2016-12-06
   * ACTION: Alexandre to send an email to foundation-list with a proposal for discussion
  * 2016-12-20
   * Next step seems to be to reach out to Creative Commons to get advice on what exactly can and should be done
  * 2017-01-24
   * Alexandre reached out to Creative commons
  * 2017-02-28
   * Alexandre will try alternative channels

 * Google Play account
  * 2016-09-27
   * https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=771981 was done, we need to pay a $25 one-time fee for the developer account
  * 2016-10-04
   * Payment is authorized
   * ACTION: Rosanna to make the payment and follow up with Ankit
  * 2016-10-18
   * Rosanna is waiting for Ankit to reply about the gmail account
  * 2016-11-01
   * Board is discussing who should have access to the credit card associated to the account
  * 2016-11-29
   * ACTION: Rosanna to look into getting a PayPal credit card
  * 2016-12-20
   * Rosanna has been collating materials to update the PayPal account owner before looking into the credit card

 * Privacy campaign funds
  * 2016-09-27
   * Draft is out for the Board to review and give feedback
   * ACTION: Cosimo to try and form a committee to review internship proposals
  * 2016-10-26
   * We are aiming for an internship round in spring 2017

 * Bitcoins donations data
  * 2017-02-07
   * Neil will help with this going forward
  * 2017-02-28
   * Neil will talk to John Sullivan 3/8

=== Ongoing but stalled ===

'''This section includes items which haven't seen an update in the last 30 days.'''

 * Owncloud shared calendar for the board
  * 2016-08-10
   * Cosimo tested creating an event, but with mixed results
   * ACTION: Cosimo to take it on from here
  * 2016-09-06 - Allan has started a list of reoccuring events on the wiki - https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoardPrivate/Minutes/UpcomingAgenda
  * 2017-03-07
   * Neil is looking into a similar calendar so will take over

 * Money raised for defense against Groupon
  * Kat to draft a call for Free Desktop-style hackfests which would be sponsored with money raised for defence against Groupon
  * 2016-09-06
   * We probably don't want to track exactly this money flow, but the initiatives that the Board has been pursuing (Flatpak, LAS GNOME) are good fits for the original intent this money was kept for
   * We can consider making a PR or some other form of announcement about how we're currently making use of this money
  * 2017-03-07
   * General feeling here is that Flatpak fits the bill of the kind of technology/event that taps into the wider community
   * Another idea may be to use the resources not for an event but for infrastructure
   * ACTION: let's understand the financial picture in the budget meeting on 3/7

 * Paypal Giving Fund
  * Alexandre suggested in december 2015 to get us enrolled in the program
   * That would give us exposure. For example Humble bundle allows to direct the charity part of purchases towards any of their participants
  * Zana tried to get us in sometime before may 2016, we never heard back.
  * 2016-09-06
   * ACTION: Zana to look into it

 * Google ad grant
  * 2016-08-10
   * ACTION: Shaun will pick this up again and try to register us into the program when he's back in the US
   * The actual ad campaigns would probably need to be managed by the Engagement/Marketing team
   * ACTION: Nuritzi to discuss with the Engagement Team and let the board know if they want to start using Google ad

 * Sysadmin fundraising levels and perks
  * 2016-08-10, ACTION: Nuritzi to take on this project and figure out what it entails

 * Web page for prior pants winners
  * 2016-08-10, ACTION: Shaun and Allan to add the web page
  * 2017-03-07
   * Only missing the winner for one year, 2005
   * We can crowdsource the details and refinement of the bios/photos/etc

 * Friends of GNOME
  * 2016-08-10
   * ACTION: Allan to get in touch with Tobi and the sysadmin team to migrate the FoG infrastructure over to GNOME
  * 2017-03-07
   * Allan will pass this on to Neil, and connect him to Tobi

=== Ongoing but no director assigned ===

'''This section includes items which haven't seen an update in the last 30 days and have no Director assigned'''

== Nice to have ==

'''This section includes items which we would love to see happen at some point but lack the time to effectively become reality'''

 * Contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
  * Kat to draft this

 * Privacy policy for GNOME services
  * Current draft is at https://wiki.gnome.org/Foundation/Privacy
  * Sysadmin Team's NDA should also be covered when dealing with this item
  * Kat or Allan to write up the policy
  * Kat or Allan to write up recommended wording for distribution privacy policies, regarding the behaviour of GNOME software

 * Photography policy for GNOME conferences
  * Proposal needs to be drafted and sent to foundation list for discussion
  * Should probably be addressed at the same time as a standardised code of conduct

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

== Completed actions ==

 * Open source survey: http://opensourcesurvey.org/
  * 2017-03-28
   * ACTION: Neil will look over the survey if there's any interesting questions from it
  * There were none

 * Reimbursements for GIMP Wilber Week Hacking Event 2017
  * ACTION: Shaun to review the receipts and put it on the wiki

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]