Re: Questions for candidates

Richard Stallman <rms gnu org> wrote:
  > I would like GNOME to positively influence other projects both
  > propriety and Free Software ones.

A positive influence has to be a good thing -- but what does
it mean to have a positive influence on a proprietary program?

Convincing its developers to make it free software is the biggest form
of positive influence.  But we can only occasionally achieve that
much.  Short of that, what kind of change would be positive?

Respecting privacy and allowing interoperability with Free Software
are the obvious possibilities. It's also possible for proprietary
software to use Free Software components and tools.

And to be clear - I only mentioned proprietary software as one
possible aspect of a wider attempt to positively influence software
projects. Free Software is (and should continue to be) our primary
focus.

Allan