Re: Question to candidates: Best use of Trademark Fundraiser money?

Hi Andreas,

One of the things is an ED, I think everyone agrees here...

On the other hand, I have specific items in mind, but I really don't know the drawbacks of them, since I
don't know
why we didn't do it before. So it needs discussion.

I think we have to fix the "where is the money I gave to the foundation went? Did it achieve the goals? How
does it affect me directly?"

One thing that I had in mind is, show the community that their money is spend in something that directly
affects them
(and not only long-time developers, like spending the money on GUADEC or so). I really think we have to show
that to those people.
For example allocating some money for bountysource or so, in this way we can choose some bugs that we think
are priority to fix,
and we can say "part of your money was spend in this specific thing that will affect directly to you".

Another thing I had in mind is a "GNOME excellency program". Read as, a GSOC for one person and directly paid
by GNOME.
The problem with GSOC is that is only for students. And the "issue" with Outreachy is that is only for women.
So the way I imagine it is, one important specific project that people has to "compete" to be elected to do
it, and we offer a little bigger amount
than GSOC to promote it. In this way we can achieve a specific goal, independent of the person, so here the
goal is not to gain new people, but
to achieve the goal of the project.
In this way we can also say to the community "part of your money was spend in a very great developer, to fix
this long-standing
issue that directly affects you".

I think spending 10% of the money in those initiatives are not that much, and send a message to the community
and improves the image of
GNOME towards them. But I also believe we need to have a little war chest and I understand big part of the
money goes to hackfests, etc.

Cheers,
Carlos Soriano