Re: Question for candidates

On 2014-05-21 13:04, Jeff Fortin wrote:
Le dimanche 18 mai 2014 à 12:58 -0400, Dave Neary a écrit :

So my question to all of you is: what are the main characteristics you
will be looking for in the next executive director?

When looking for a profile, there are a number of dials to twiddle:

* Technical proficiency & reputation in the community, including free
software cultural alignment
* Strategy experience - the ability to formulate and communicate a
direction for GNOME
* Administrative and organizational experience
* Business acumen and experience growing a commercial ecosystem
* Communication/marketing/evangelism experience
* Cost

Of these, which do you feel are the most important for GNOME right now

I think that expecting an ED candidate to have all of those
qualities/skills nailed down simultaneously would be a difficult
proposition to entertain. It's basically asking for a
20-years-experienced C*O to lift mountains at non-profit compensation
rates and very high risk.

Let's be honest: whoever that person might be, there's a heck of a
challenge in terms of fundraising; we're far from the situation we were
in back in 2009 or so. Karen et al have my respect for weathering the
very harsh times GNOME has gone through in recent years.

The board, too, requires diversity in the skillset of its members. It's
a team effort. I hope my skills and interest in biz/mkt/mngt/design/etc.
will be good complements to those of other board members.

So in my eyes, in our current circumstances, I would say these are what
are valuable traits: business acumen/experience growing a commercial
ecosystem; communication skill (I consider that to be a side-effect of
the previous item), admin/org experience.

Maybe cost in theory, but in practice, what I just described is kind of
a biz dev/salesperson... good luck finding an experimented person to
fill that role in a cost-constrained scenario!

I agree that it's hard to find the right person on our budget but I think there are a lot of different ways that it can play out, as others suggest. To me, understanding the GNOME community (and thus being able to work with all of us to accomplish GNOME's goals) and being passionate about free software (to understand and be able to advocate for adoption and funding) are at a premium. I think we should not be too rigid about our expectations and see who responds to a call for applicants - there are a lot of different ways to do the job right. We need someone to keep convincing our current donors to give (when I joined as ED we'd already lost adboard members and some of our current ones were threatening to leave), to build the connections with our allies to get to the donation level and to help steer GNOME in a direction that individuals and others will want to give. I personally wished many times that I was more technical in my role so I could dive in and help on things that were in the public interest or of concern to one of our partners, rather than agitate for those fixes to be made by others (I haven't really coded in a decade). One thing- it would be great to have someone who is a good public speaker, in order to advocate for GNOME, but also to get invited to the places where people and companies are meeting. With the exception of GNOME's events, the vast majority of my travel was funded by the conferences and having keynotes meant that I could reach more people. Then again as someone else said, traveling takes away time from other things. It is indeed a balancing act :)

karen