Re: Board of Directors Elections 2014 - Candidacy - Emily Gonyer

Do you have examples of situations where Red Hat (or any other company or corporation for that matter) has trumped what most of the community wants/needs? If you do, what do you think the board could/should do about it?

Yes, you're part of the community. But you're being paid by a large
corporation to work on it, and as a result are beholden to them at
least as much as to the rest of the community. Red Hat is not the only
thing that matters in the GNOME world. Or, it shouldn't be. But for
the last several years, Red Hat's wants/needs have trumped what anyone
else wants/needs, including the larger user base of GNOME which is
what (I believe) has driven it to fracture into so many DE's over the
last 3-4 years. We need to make sure that people who aren't working
for Red Hat have a say. Make sure that people who aren't being paid to
work on free software have a voice. Sure, those of us who are not
currently paid can speak up on mailing lists, but we're (mostly)
roundly ignored. This is what has driven the community apart. This is
the problem.

--
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it. -  Goethe

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr.Seuss

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that
counts can be counted. - Albert Einstein