Re: question for candidates

On Tue, 2014-05-20 at 17:08 -0400, Emily Gonyer wrote:

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Andy Tai <atai gnu org> wrote:
        Hi, I would like to post this question to the candidates:

        GNOME's core toolkit, gtk+, is used by numerous projects.
        Currently gtk+ development seems to be driven mainly by the
        GNOME desktop.  However, gtk+ also play critical roles in
        other free software projects, like MATE, XFCE, and the
        Cinnamon desktop, and large applications like GIMP, Inkscape,
        etc.

        What are your views on the participation of the people of
        these projects, as stake holders in the direction of gtk+, in
        the GNOME Foundation?  Should the GNOME Foundation encourage
        (reach out to) these people to get them involved in the GNOME
        Foundation so they also have a say and even contribute to gtk+
        so gtk+ can continue to serve their needs well, important for
        the continuing successes of gtk+ in the free software world?

They are (or ought to be) just as involved in the development of GTK+
as the developers of GNOME Shell are, and their opinions, wants, needs
etc ought to be valued. The GNOME project is not (or at least, should
not) be exclusively about GNOME Shell, but include anyone and everyone
who uses GNOME technologies. The sever fracturing of the community
which has taken place over the last 3-4 years is not healthy for our
community, nor for theirs. Everyone who is using GTK+ ought to be
included in ongoing discussions as to its development. They should be
invited to GUADEC and encouraged to submit talks, and become
foundation members.

As long as they contribute to GNOME or its direct eco-system (eg.
contributing to MATE, Elementary, etc. isn't contributing to GNOME,
contributing to GTK+, NetworkManager, PulseAudio or GStreamer is).

 As a member of the board, I will do my best to engage with them and
encourage them to do so, while also doing my best to ensure that their
voices, thoughts, concerns, etc are heard, understood and thought of
in any and all changes going forwards.