Re: question for candidates

Hi, I would like to post this question to the candidates:

GNOME's core toolkit, gtk+, is used by numerous projects.  Currently gtk+ development seems to be driven mainly by the GNOME desktop.  However, gtk+ also play critical roles in other free software projects, like MATE, XFCE, and the Cinnamon desktop, and large applications like GIMP, Inkscape, etc.

What are your views on the participation of the people of these projects, as stake holders in the direction of gtk+, in the GNOME Foundation?  Should the GNOME Foundation encourage (reach out to) these people to get them involved in the GNOME Foundation so they also have a say and even contribute to gtk+ so gtk+ can continue to serve their needs well, important for the continuing successes of gtk+ in the free software world?

Indeed yes, although GNOME has its own roadmap, design and views which obviously differ from what other GNOME forks are providing to users we will never ever think about closing the door to anyone willing to contribute and provide their opinions back upstream. (with GNOME still being the upstream for those forks)

One of the free software beauties is its malleability, like you can shape a metal the way you want the same can be achieved with the code licensed under a free software license. Some users and communities were not happy about the direction GNOME was taking, that's legit, someone should be free to use the DE of their choice, the DE that helps them being more productive, the DE that makes them feel at home, the DE that has all the features they need where they need them.

I will be more than happy to welcome back those communities and contributors, try to engage them and hear their opinions finding a common path.

Andrea

Debian Developer,
Fedora / EPEL packager,
GNOME Sysadmin,