Re: question for candidates

On Wed, 2014-05-21 at 10:32 +0200, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
On 05/21/2014 05:17 AM, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

Now regarding foundation and these other projects. I've long thought
that need to find a way to support these projects.  I have a proposal
in the works that will suggest that the Foundation will help pay for
hackfests that does not benefit GNOME the product (e.g. the desktop)
but does benefit GNOME the eco-system.  The idea is that in exchange
for the money, that everyone would participate in working in the lower
levels of the stack and not necessarily the design.  This is
controversial because of using our finances, but there are questions
on whether this will dilute the brand. But that is a separate discussion.

This is very interesting, considering projects like Mate and Elementary
OS have donation systems by themselves and I assume income from that [1]
[2]. The other thing is that the foundation have limited funds as it is.
I would love to hear other candidates view on this matter. It would be a
deal breaker for me.

In the past, we would try to sponsor GNOME folks for hackfests that are
wider than GNOME itself, and in some cases, important people in the
community around those building blocks.

For example, the location hackfest, built around work on Geoclue2, has
plenty of non-GNOME attendees:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Hackfests/Location2014

I believe it also happened for the Color management hackfest:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Hackfests/ColorManagement2012

Obviously, it's better when the contributor's home organisation can pay
for costs rather than GNOME. It might not always be the case however.