Re: Board of Directors Elections 2014 - Candidacy - Emily Gonyer

On 20 May 2014 14:30, Emily Gonyer <emilyyrose gmail com> wrote:
In regards to paid and unpaid contributors to GNOME, I honestly feel
that unpaid contributions should be favored. I realize that is
probably unlikely to occur, but it ought to. Why? Because GNOME is, at
least in theory, a free software 'project'. As such, it is supposedly
run, and worked on largely by volunteers. Unfortunately of course, we
all know this is not true. In practice most of the top contributors
are paid to work on GNOME - as a result, most of their work is
directed by corporations, and their wants/needs and not by the
thousands of individual users who have different wants/needs. But
because they are paid to work on it, they have more time to do so and
rise faster and receive more respect and admiration than those of us
who do so 'just for fun'. This creates a lopsided portrait of the
wants/needs of users. And, of course, the corporations who are paying
for the work don't care what individual users think - why would they?
As a result, users are ignored and the larger free software community
alienated. This is, IMHO why the GNOME ecosystem has fractured so
fully over the last couple of years. Where we once had GNOME we now
have GNOME Shell, Unity, Elementary, Cinnamon and Mate all competing
for the same handful of users.

I'm not going to pretend that I know how to fix this problem. I don't.
But I do know it exists, and that it has been largely, if not
completely ignored by the majority of GNOME developers and certainly
by the Board of Directors thus far. Perhaps most striking is the very
composition of the Board of Directors itself. How many are not paid to
work on GNOME by an Advisory Board member? Isn't this in some way a
conflict of interest? Shouldn't the board be independent and not tied
to corporate interests? Shouldn't the needs of the project come first,
and not the needs of any individual corporation?

Thank you for your reply.

I would like to point out that there has been outreach to the projects
which were forked from GNOME, but with poor results. I encourage you
to address the issues that you see regardless of whether you join the
board or not.

There are also precautions in place to ensure that no single corporate
entity employs a majority (over 40%) of board members. At the moment,
this means that a maximum of 2 out of 7 board members can share an
employer.

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 8:00 AM, Ekaterina Gerasimova