Re: Questions for the candidates: finances

Hi Jim

On 2014-05-19 11:19, Jim Nelson <jim yorba org> wrote:
Aside from corporate sponsorship and personal donations, what area(s)
would you investigate to increase and stabilize GNOME's finances?  (Or
do you feel these two methods are the only or best way to achieve this
goal?)

I think that corporate donations are an effective way to raise funds for the Foundation, as they traditionally have dwarfed personal donations. While personal donations are secondary in terms of absolute value, the sheer number of individual donors is an indication of the high level of support from a wide range of people.

Perhaps there is room for a middle ground, where interested parties (individuals or companies) could contribute to specific goals, and interested maintainers or contributors could pick up tasks and work on improving GNOME based on the goal ideas. To me, this is somewhere between the current fundraising campaigns, such as those for accessibility and privacy, and the idea of bug bounties. I think that the idea might have too much overhead, but it could work well at getting both new contributors and donors involved in the project.

I am sure that there are lots of potential problems with it, but I hope the idea can spark some discussion.

--
http://amigadave.com/