Re: Question for candidates

On 20 May 2014 01:55, Marina Zhurakhinskaya <marinaz redhat com> wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Max" <sakanamax gmail com>
To: "foundation-list" <foundation-list gnome org>
Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2014 9:18:33 PM
Subject: Question for candidates

Hi everyone,

Thanks for run the board.
This is the most busy time for GNOME.Asia summit(4 days to go).
GNOME.Asia team and Beijing team are busy for the summit.

My question to all of you:

* What's your plan for "Promote / Growth GNOME in Asia"
-- GNOME.Asia summit ?

The GNOME.Asia team is doing a fantastic job organizing the conference and it will undoubtedly boost the
interest in GNOME. It would be great to have meetups of people working on GNOME and free software in
Beijing throughout the year, so that more people who learned about GNOME at the conference are interested
in travelling to the next year's location.

Local meetups are a great idea and have proven to be popular when
organised, even if only for "GNOME Beers" around releases. As the
question is about plans for the future, how are you planning to help
this happen?

---- Central event management system for both GUADEC and GNOME.Asia?( I saw
it last GUADEC but not start to use)

I created a new "activities to track" page for the board and added it there. We will find out what is going
on with it and encourage development.

There are many issues that the board tracks and works on, why do you
think that the board should take over the tracking of this rather than
let those who created it (OPW interns and mentors) and those who would
benefit from it (GUADEC and GNOME.Asia organisers) keep track?

Given that the board rarely interferes in development, how do you
propose to encourage further work on this project?

---- Other idea?

-- Google Summer of code / Outreach Program for Women
---- What's your plan for GsoC and OPW in Asia?

We should continue to provide materials and encouragement for past OPW and GSoC participants to run
introduction to free software / GNOME / GSoC / OPW sessions and host meetups in their cities throughout the
year, so that we have more applicants from Asia applying for these programs who have experience
contributing to free software. There are materials available for OpenHatch "Open Source Comes to Campus"
and GNOME Newcomers Workshop, which can be used for such events.

---- How many country get GsoC / OPW in Asia? What's your plan for promote it
with more country in Asia?

Of 39 interns GNOME has this summer, 14 are from India, 1 from China, and 1 from Philippines. As I
mentioned above, we need to encourage these people and other community members to promote the internship
programs and help people become contributors before they apply.

-- GNOME Foundation member in Asia?
---- How do we know our other member in Asia?( I suggest tobi last year, if
they want to fill their country when foundation member renew or new )

There is https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeWorldWide , which we can encourage people to fill out. There are also
translators, whose information you can get from Git or on https://l10n.gnome.org/teams/. Also there are
localization and regional mailing lists.

---- How do we get these member / resource together?

I think you already do a lot of this by organizing GNOME.Asia! Perhaps you can have a BoF at the conference
to figure out what are the resources you want to put together and what are the activities you want to see
happen.

-- Are you interesting to involve Asia event? and how do you involve?

The GNOME Foundation sponsored Sindhu to go to FOSSASIA this year, where she ran contributing to GNOME
workshop, did a talk about documentation, and participated in a panel about women in IT. We should have
more people proposing talks and going to FOSSASIA next year. We should also have people proposing talks and
going to LinuxCon Japan. Identifying and participating in any other free software conferences in Asia would
be great.

-- Anything you plan with Asia.

Thanks for all the great questions! I'm excited about growing our presence in Asia and I'm sure we will
succeed.

Marina

GNOME.Asia team member

Max Huang