Re: Question for candidates

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Neary" <dneary gnome org>
To: "Foundation-List" <foundation-list gnome org>
Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2014 12:58:21 PM
Subject: Question for candidates

Hi everyone,

For me, the defining thing the next board will do is hire a successor to
Karen Sandler as executive director of the foundation.

So my question to all of you is: what are the main characteristics you
will be looking for in the next executive director?

when looking for a profile, there are a number of dials to twiddle:
* Technical proficiency & reputation in the community, including free
software cultural alignment
* Strategy experience - the ability to formulate and communicate a
direction for GNOME
* Administrative and organizational experience
* Business acumen and experience growing a commercial ecosystem
* Communication/marketing/evangelism experience
* Cost

Of these, which do you feel are the most important for GNOME right now,
and why? Are there other criteria which you think are important that I
didn't list?

Two additional desirable characteristics for an ED are the ability to fundraise and legal knowledge.

The board and community members can fulfill many functions of an ED, which is something that is evident now
when we don't have an ED. So I think this gives us some flexibility in what are the strengths of the person
we hire. I think the two essential characteristics are free software cultural alignment and organizational
abilities. It's important that the ED is able to keep track of all the activities that need to happen for the
GNOME project to be stable and grow, seek input, and delegate effectively.

Thanks,
Marina

Thanks!
Dave.