Re: Mission Statement

On 7 August 2014 14:43, Máirín Duffy <duffy fedoraproject org> wrote:

On 08/07/2014 12:06 AM, Mathieu Duponchelle wrote:

    Women do represent a pretty significant portion of the general
    public, no? I think for men by men probably doesn't meet the
    "general public" qualifier there.

"Standalone OPW" is different from "from men by men", I'm afraid I don't
understand your argument here?

I am happy to clarify. Here is my argument:

- There are financial concerns / problems.
- There are concerns about OPW's alignment with GNOME's mission statement

If there are financial concerns, let's continue to go through the actual
data and see if there is a way to solve them.

Let's not conflate whether or not OPW has anything to do with the mission
statement or not; if there was a problem with alignment to the mission
statement I would have expected that to be brought up quite some time ago,
and would hope it would be brought up without the added issue of financial
concerns if it was truly a sincere concern.

In the absence of a program like OPW, sadly, it is for men by men, we have
historical figures to demonstrate this.

The discussion is not about the absence of OPW, but about not
providing the service of managing OPW for other organisations.
I haven't seen anyone saying GNOME shouldn'tparticipate in OPW.

If you want to take a project that is successfully increasing the number of
female participants in GNOME and open source in general and disassociate it
from the project while, at the same time, talking about how there are
financial issues and not enough money to hire more help then you are
essentially killing the program. If the program cannot continue to operate
without the help from the GNOME foundation that it is currently getting
(whether or not that is sustainable long-term,) you are setting the program
back.

You can not just say, let's take OPW out of this GNOME box and give it its
owm box and believe that it won't negatively impact the broader program and
its ability to continue its success while you are also bringing up financial
issues that would make the program impossible to run outside of GNOME's box.

I don't see why it would negatively impact it.
When looking at http://kernelnewbies.org/OPWIntro the only reference
to GNOME is the IRC server.
It already lives a life outside of GNOME, it's a matter of formalising that.
GNOME could be a participant like others, withan organization with
more human resources handling the shared part.

I hope this clarifies my point and I hope the discussion can continue to
focus around the financial issues and work through potential solutions to
those and put aside the 'mission statement' argument. I do not see any
conflict with the current mission statement, and changing the mission
statement appears to not solve the real issue at hand anyway.