Re: Extending the call for candidates (was Re: Withdrawal of board of idrectors candidacy)

2013/5/22 Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs igalia com>
On 05/21/2013 10:46 PM, Karen Sandler wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2013 1:14 pm, Richard Stallman wrote:
>> The number of candidates so far is pretty small -- I saw only 8 -- so
>> we will not have much choice in our voting.
>>
>> On general principles, and not as criticism of the people who have
>> already stepped into the race, I think it would be good for more
>> people to run.  I encourage you, and everyone who has already run, to
>> stay in the race.
>
> I am pleased to say that the candidates we already have are *all*
> exceptionally strong.  I feel that I should point out that there are one
> or two people who would probably join the race as well if we extended the
> deadline. As I said, though, the current candidates are pretty awesome and
> they all got their announcements in on time :)

True, but the announcement period this time was shorter. In 2012, the
announcement went out 17 April with a deadline of 20 May. [1] This time,
the announcement went out 6 May with a deadline of 19 May. [2] Given
Richard's observation that we have a lack of choice combined with the
shorter announcement period, I wonder if it would be worth extending the
call for candidates for, say, another week.

Yearly the GNOME Foundation Membership Committee has a meeting to decide when and how the elections should take place. It seems that both on the past [1] and the current year [2] the timeline for proposing candidacies was 13 days. Apparently on 2012 the Board didn't coordinate with the committee and decided to send out the announcement earlier on the 17th of April. While I agree we should send out the announcement a bit earlier the next year (maybe moving the "Announcements and list of candidates opens" to April?) I feel there's no real reason to postpone the last date for proposing new candidacies given the fact that no one expressed an interest in sending out a candidacy after the 20th of May neither publicly or privately to me or to any other member of the membership committee. 13 days is a good amount of time for thinking deeply about running or not and for writing a little sum up of what the candidate has achieved in term of contributions during the past months / years.

Andrea

Debian Developer,
Fedora / EPEL packager,
GNOME Sysadmin,