Re: Proposal: DNS change irc.gnome.org becomes A record and irc.gimpnet.org starts getting phased out.

Wow what an insane and disappointing thread.

Anyway, http://bit.ly/QNrDXc

From Google:
Noun

   1. Twisted silk or cotton with cord or wire running through it, used chiefly in upholstery.
   2. offensive. A physically handicapped or lame person.

Verb
  1. offensive. Limp; hobble: "she gimped around".

So yes, offensive. But maybe more importantly just tacky and douchey.

The term gimp isn't as common today as it used to be. Nor are the following terms still commonly used to describe people: slope, spade, spic, negro, frog, faggot, midget, etc. Not all exactly offensive but all inappropriate.

Bear in mind that this may not be the case in your country - but it is in mine.

This whole thread is so childish. No one is taking anyone's toys. Some people just don't find as much amusement in these kind of inside "jokes" as some people apparently do.  There is still plenty of nerdy shit to nerd out on. But maybe, just maybe we can aim a little higher too? Then again maybe not. I'm starting to wonder.

For me, we certainly want to continue to advertise our IRC as being irc.gnome.org. It is somewhat annoying that IRC clients don't list irc.gnome.org in their server lists. I hope we really don't expect users to come to IRC because damn IRC sucks. And so do pretty much all the clients for it. But I also don't see us moving away from IRC for development any time soon.

So we may as well put as nice a face on this shitbag as we can. But I don't see any reason why this should be any more than a discussion between the marketing folks and the sysadmin team.

 Jon

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
On Wed, 2013-05-08 at 10:02 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> To many, 'gimp' is an offensive term an given our dedication to a11y
> it seems counter-intuitive to have this name in our infrastructure.

I've never heard the word "gimp" used as a slur against handicapped
people (which I guess is what you're getting at[1]). What made you think
that there was a connection between those 2 uses of the word?

Cheers

[1]: Rather than people who might need a11y technologies, which is
pretty much everyone (keyboard on touchscreen, text sizes, inverse
colours, etc.)