Re: jabber.gnome.org's future

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
On Mon, 2013-03-04 at 14:59 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:

> The only way it would make sense to me is if we had some expectation
> that over time that the number of users would grow to a significant
> fraction of the GNOME membership.

I understand the maintenance burden, and that it's not worthwhile
for only a small handful of users. But it's clear from the thread
that most people didn't even know we have an XMPP server. How many
users would we have if we actually publicized it?

I do think we should push XMPP harder and build more services on
top of it, and having a server for members can help us prototype
stuff like that. But I'm not writing the code or maintaining the
server, so meh...

I think the point is well taken that the service never really got a chance because it wasn't well advertised.  I can imagine from a sysadmin perspective that XMPP would serve some interesting use cases for alerting for system events or other things or maybe build failures.

I have a hard time though thinking it is a superior chat system compared to IRC.  Mostly because, we have bots, we have just added some new IRC services.  Plus some of us run irc under screen, giving us 24/7 access to chat so we don't miss conversations.

I think XMPP has a place, but chatting isn't one of them.

sri