Re: jabber.gnome.org's future

Hi Shaun,

It's certainly recognized that shutting down jabber.gnome.org would
cause pain for people who are using it. But in the end, system
administration resources are limited, and we have to balance that
against the costs to us to provide an open-ended promise to continue
running the service indefinitely.

With email, we have to have a functioning email server for gnome.org,
anyways and all we provide on top of that is automated aliases. The
incremental security and maintenance burden of gnome.org email addresses
is minimal.

With XMPP, on the other hand, we have a complete service which is
running *only* to provide XMPP service to on the order of a dozen
people. I don't think this is a strategic use of our resources.

The only way it would make sense to me is if we had some expectation
that over time that the number of users would grow to a significant
fraction of the GNOME membership.

- Owen