Re: GUADEC 2015 intent to bid for Oxford

On Tue, 2013-07-23 at 19:49 +0100, Ekaterina Gerasimova wrote:
[...]
On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:48:32AM -0700, Germán Póo-Caamaño wrote:
I wonder what are the odds of getting the venue for free.  It seems the
venue could make the difference between having some profit, no profit or
a major loss.

The venues are negotiated with each college or department. Whether we
can negotiate for a free venue will very much depend on the attendee
numbers and which venue we want. The higher the expected number of
attendees, the fewer choices we will have as Oxford is a college
university with few students per year, so there are few large lecture
halls. On the plus side, with GUADEC attendance falling in recent
years[1], we are likely to have more options.

Even if we have to pay the maximum for the venue, the spending is on a
par with recent years. The bigger question is whether we will be able to
get the same amount of sponsorship as we normally do[2], which still
remains to be seen. (I am assuming that it will be similar to this year
for the budget.) I think that we will be better placed to assess whether
paying for the venue is a viable option after GUADEC this year and if it
is not, then I expect the bid to be rejected. We will try our best to
acquire a venue for free or to negotiate a discount.

IIRC, we have paid €40,000 as maximum (~£34,500).  If you also make the
match for travel sponsorships, that would be £25,800.  Combined, that
would lower the proposal costs in about £10,000.

In addition, you can make the sponsorship dependant of the venue costs.
It is not the ideal, but tighten our belts could be an option.

Thanks for the updates.

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
http://calcifer.org/