Re: Setting moderation bit for members who consistently hijack topics

On Thu, 2013-01-10 at 07:42 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Finally, I'd really like to know what contributions he made to GNOME
> that would make him eligible to become a Foundation member. I cannot
> find any.

I asked the very same question on #foundation IRC yesterday. One theory
that came up was "advocacy".
In any case I'd also like to know.

Currently most "contributions" I see are topics getting side-tracked
into nit-picky naming issues (it's GNU/Linux, it's Free Software) though
everybody knows and understands what the original poster intended to
express. These repeated posting are useless to me. Still I have to go
through them as a posting in an otherwise interesting thread could
theoretically also be interesting and even on-topic.
I also see criticizing GNOME partners as "pretty bad" or individuals
which are employed by GNOME partners are marked as "working for X" which
is used as an argument against them, despite them writing "all of my
opinions and views expressed in this email are solely my own" before.

I normally try to keep away from people with bad influence and stop
energy, so I guess I am going to unsubscribe from this mailing list
again. That's also why I was not subscribed to this list for years while
being a foundation member: Too much noise and distraction, thanks to a
very small number of vocal individuals that seemed to not bring much
additional value to conversations.

andre

PS: To those people proposing to use email filters: I'd still get quoted
answers and my client cannot "mute" a conversation like GMail.
Awaiting now the potential "GMail was mentioned, Google is bad!" reply.

--
Andre Klapper  |  ak-47 gmx net
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/