Re: Technical and legal aspects of pitivi's crowdfunding campaign.

Hello,

>Hi,
>>Le vendredi 13 décembre 2013, à 19:37 +0100, Mathieu Duponchelle a écrit :
>>Hi everyone !

>>Following a discussion with Karen Sandler and other members of the
>>gnome engagement team in the #engagement channel on gimpnet,
>>it was decided that a mail to that list would be necessary, to
>>expose the legal and technical aspects of the crowdfunding campaign
>>we are about to start around the pitivi video editor.

>I might have missed some info about this campaign, but it's the first
>time I hear about it: it would be good if you could summarize the goals
>and so on :-) Anyhow, I wish you the best!

So, the Pitivi team, composed of its 3 current maintainer decided a while back to try to launch a fundraising campaign with the ambitious goal of bringing the pitivi video editor to a robust state, making sure all the components of its stack are solid enough to support its ambition of becoming a professional grade video editing software. The plan is to have 2 phases during the actual development time:
  • Work package 1: Stabilization to reach the long awaited 1.0 release
  • Work package 2: Implement top-wanted features (backers should be allowed to vote so we can determine what these are?)

You can find a quick overview of the plan at http://gstreamer.bugsfree.org:8080/#plan and all the full detailed version at http://gstreamer.bugsfree.org:8080/the-plan -- Keep in mind that this is still Work in Progres, and if we would be glad to get some feeback from you.

The team behind this initiative is composed of:
  • Jean Francois Fortin Tam, designer, bug triager, manager and maintainer of Pitivi, he is in the Gnome community since 2005 and you probably already know him.
  • Mathieu Duponchelle, GSoCer in the Gnome project in 2011 and 2013, he has been working on pitivi since then, and thanks to his GSoC project (again under the gnome umbrella) in 2013, we finally managed to release a 0.91 beta release based on the new stack we have been building for 2years+ (namely GES, GI, Gst1.0 etc...)
  • Thibault Saunier,  GSoCer under the gnome umbrella in 2009 and 2010 he has been the main developer of pitivi, and GES since 2011

You can find some more details about us at: http://gstreamer.bugsfree.org:8080/#about-us

If you have more question about the project/who we are etc. we would be happy to talk with you, we are always connected on #pitivi.

>>One quick question:
>>On our side, there are two options we could go for, with
>>different charges and laws associated :

>>1) We can create a non-profit association.

>>2) We can create a regular Limited Liability Company (LLC),
>>  SARL in French.
>Have there been any thoughts about a third option: actually having the
>Foundation hire the people?

>There are probably several downsides (in terms of costs; in terms of
>legal paperwork, as I understand that this is about French people and
>the Foundation is still kind of US-centric for that matter; in terms of
>involvement from the Foundation; etc.). But on the other hand, it might
>make sense to at least think whether it's a good idea for the Foundation
>to employ developers.

I am not sure what you have in mind here, the solution we are proposing should be pretty straight forward in term of paperwork for the Gnome fundation.

Best Regards,

Thibault Saunier.