Re: Announcing GNOME's official GitHub mirror

hi Christophe;

On 15 August 2013 10:38, Christophe Fergeau <teuf gnome org> wrote:
2013/8/15 Alberto Ruiz <aruiz gnome org>:
Why did I choose github? Because that's where everybody is these days.
Because we have nothing to lose by mirroring our repos there and we
have a lot to gain.

Promoting the non-free github while a free alternative exists
(gitorious) is a big loss in my opinion.

in my experience (work-related and not), the amount of times Gitorious
is down, or immeasurably slow, are more than the times it's actually
serving Git repositories — so I wouldn't so readily position it as an
"alternative", free or otherwise.

also, if the goal here is to capture occasional contributors that
already have a GitHub presence, then having a clone on any other
service is pretty much pointless.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--