Re: Changes to the GNOME Foundation Bylaws from 2002

On Tue, 2012-10-02 at 10:45 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/01/2012 03:07 AM, Tobias Mueller wrote:
> > Dear Foundation,
> >
> > I propose to change the current bylaws to the document attached.
> >
> > If you object these changes, please raise your voice until 2012-10-31.
> > If 5% of the membership (20 members) object, we will have a vote.
> > Otherwise, the changes will be accepted.
>
> Doesn't modifying the by-laws usually work the other way around (as in,
> we need a vote to change them)?

See below.

> Then again, if this is housekeeping and we're just applying diffs voted
> in previous referenda, there doesn't even need to be a discussion, does
> there?

We're not changing the by-laws, we're rewording them to get rid of
errors or potential sources of confusions, and update them based on
previous referenda so as to get rid of the addendums and amendments.

To amend the by-laws in that way, you don't need a vote (as one of the
sections that's changing in the by-laws shows), just less than 5%
disagreement.

Cheers