Re: Looking for community managers or enthusiasts!

On Thu, November 15, 2012 2:39 pm, William Jon McCann wrote:
> Hi Karen,
>
> I think these are good suggestions. But I think it would be a mistake to
> leave this critical responsibility to a committee of volunteers. One of
> the
> many challenges we face is that our voice and message have been too
> inconsistent - too infrequently heard. Heard too late. Lacking authority.
> In want of good taste. And dealing with this is taking a huge toll on our
> ability to attract and retain contributors. Something needs to be done.
>
> I propose that we hire or appoint a full time director of marketing.

This is a great idea! And I agree that this is a major area of need for
us. Given the GNOME Foundation finances, it probably is also worth
considering someone part-time (especially if there is a team of volunteers
that can be trained and directed by such a person) or thinking creatively
about fundraising for the position.

The other challenge will be to find the right person for the position. In
the past, organizations I worked with who hired for these kinds of
positions had a really tough time finding someone with the right skillset
already and who also understood free software and was affordable. But we
can tackle that and set up a hiring process if we decide this is what we
want to do and can raise the funds.

We'll take it to the board! In the meantime, as I return from maternity
leave (I'm not fully back for a few weeks), I can help push forward some
of these tasks - some of them have gone in and out of my queue over the
last year depending on my other commitments - though many of them require
someone more trained than me to do well. We've been talking about various
ideas on the marketing list, including a weekly podcast/oggcast about
GNOME.

If we can get that together, mind being on the first one, Jon? :D

karen